Luxury Homes in Silicon Valley
Silicon Valley rose to prominence with the technology boom that started in the 1970s. It encompasses the cities and towns in the southern San Francisco Bay Area where startup companies, aided by venture capitalists, were born and nurtured into the giant industries they are today.
As technology-related industries continue on to greater heights, the Silicon Valley region has also continued growing. Real estate in the area includes some of the most luxurious properties in the country, commanding the highest prices. Silicon Valley has consistently been ranked among the nation’s top luxury markets, placing 1st in many occasions.
Features of Luxury Homes in Silicon Valley
Encompassing Santa Clara County and parts of San Mateo and Alameda Counties, Silicon Valley boasts a gorgeous location set amid rolling hills, lush vegetation, creeks and lakes, with a backdrop of the Santa Cruz Mountains, Diablo Range, and San Francisco Bay.
The picturesque surroundings are adeptly incorporated into the designs of luxury homes here. Built on land measuring anywhere from thousands of square feet to a few acres, many of the vast mansions and estates in Silicon Valley have been landscaped by nature. Hillside properties offer breathtaking views of the cities and towns below, the San Francisco Bay and canopies of age-old trees.
Some of Silicon Valley’s most luxurious homes are historic, century-old properties, built by the first millionaires who settled here long before the technology boom.
Once a largely agricultural region, Silicon Valley is also home to many ranch estates, featuring vineyards, equestrian trails, stables and other ranching and agricultural facilities. The result is a bucolic, laidback feel, reminiscent of rural America.
Other features that you may find in a Silicon Valley luxury home include:
- Amenities, such as a swimming pool, spa, gym, sport court, home theater, wine cellar and tasting room
- Expansive and landscaped lawns and gardens
- Formal dining room
- State-of-the-art kitchens with stainless steel appliances and slab countertops
- Special lighting
- Indoor and outdoor entertainment areas
- Outdoor guest house
Luxury Real Estate Market in Silicon Valley
Where You Can Find Luxury Homes in Silicon Valley
The largest concentrations of luxury homes in Silicon Valley are in the following communities:
- Atherton – an incorporated town in San Mateo County, Atherton is a strictly residential area with plenty of open spaces and thicklywooded streets designed more for the scenery than for speed. The city boasts the Menlo Circus Club, a members-only country club with a strong equestrian culture. Atherton is the home of many Silicon Valley executives.
- Los Altos Hills – like Atherton, Los Altos Hills is also strictly residential and is focused on equestrian and agricultural pursuits. It has three communities offering different terrains, including foothills, relatively flat land, and lakeside.
- Palo Alto – a blend of the old and the new, Palo Alto features historic homes and buildings, together with the offices of some of the biggest names in the tech industry. Luxury homes in this city include century-old and newlybuilt mansions and estates, as well as condominiums and townhouses.
- Menlo Park – Menlo Park’s 12 neighborhoods offer something for everyone, including historic and contemporary estates and luxury homes. Most of these grand homes are found in the neighborhoods of Central Menlo, Menlo Oaks and Sharon Heights.
- Woodside – another community with a strong equestrian culture, Woodside features nature preserves, horsing and biking trails and rolling land. The community is known for its expensive simplicity.
- Los Altos – Los Altos is a bedroom community with zoning requirements that distinctly separate the commercial areas from the residential areas. Many of the luxury properties here are found in the historic neighborhood of Old Los Altos, as well as in Country Club – a community that was built around the historic Lost Altos Golf and Country Club.